Friday, March 6, 2009

Dewey by Vicki Myron

Title: Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
Author: Vicki Myron
Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher:
Grand Central Publishing
ISBN-10: 0446407410

You don't have to be a cat lover to enjoy reading this heartwarming and endearing book. In the winter of 1988, in Spencer, Iowa, a small kitten was found in the book drop of the public library. The frightened, dirty, and freezing feline was taken in and adopted by the library staff (Myron was the director). Dewey soon became the official library cat and was named--Dewey Readmore Books. Dewey is the story of the impact this stray, lovable ball of orange fur had on the town, the library patrons, and on Myron. Intertwined with tales of Dewey, Myron reveals many of her own personal struggles and triumphs making this a truly inspirational read. Recommended for animal lovers and/or library lovers. Actually, recommended for anyone who likes to read! (FL)

If you would like to see video of the "real life" Dewey, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YILcRoYGvQ4#

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard Vicki Myron interviewed on the Diane Rehm show. I was a bit surprised that I had never heard of Dewey. My uncle owned the Ben Franklin store in Spencer during much of this time. He never said a word.

Dewey is on my to read list.

Anonymous said...

I've had this book sitting on my bookshelf for a while - I really need to pick it up soon!

Forgetful Librarian said...

I highly recommend it. It's one of those books that really touches you. It made me laugh and cry.